Sunday, June 16, 2013

What Space Means to Me

I have been a nerd about space lately simply because I have been studying the stars. I literally spent a night two days ago staring into the night sky for hours and watched Scorpio pass overhead. Obviously, the first thought that would come to mind when someone says the word "space" would be my idea of outerspace. And my idea of outerspace doesn't simply stop at blackholes, supernovas or planets in orbit. My idea of outerspace consists of both a scientific study and a sentimental feeling. Things like the theory of relativity, time dilation, aparrent magnitude and gravity are coupled by my feelings and thoughts about how the more I learn about space, the less I know or understand, or the more I wish to know more of outerspace. Outerspace is both puzzling and intriguing at the same time to me. It gives me excitement.

Outerspace stirs my curiosity about people living before technology or the telescope and what their view of the stars must have been. The stars are something we often bypass today because of our currently comfortable use of artificial light, but for people those days, where all they can see in the night sky is the moon and the blinking stars, I'm sure they would not simply bypass the stars but look up in awe and treasure the little lights every single night.

If I were to look at space in a different context however, I would look at space as an emotional seperation from something, or someone like your friend or partner. Space can be caused by distrust, misunderstanding, or a lack of feeling.

Physically however, space is a distance, and space is simply caused by a physical movement of one object from another.

To summarize what space means to me, I would say space is something we do not understand. Be it physical, or emotional, or technical, when we do not understand someone or something, when we do not know what to name something that cannot be named, feel something that cannot be felt, see something that does not physically exist, that is space. This is my definition of space.

P.S. And also that spacebar on your keyboard.

0 clicks!: